Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Literally Speaking

It came to my attention a while back that every time my kids saw a cat they pointed and said Miaow. This happens alot because here are several cats who hang around the school, they like to sleep outside my window so the kids are always trying to spy on them. It became so frequent that I started to wonder if it is indeed the word for cat in Thai.

Then a thread of consciousness started to weave it's way through the sharpened tones of the Thai language and I realised that the word for balloon was something along the lines of bombang - could this mean that some Thai words are onomatopaeic?

Then came this: J mentioned that when he was teaching his kids they were takling about movies that they had seen. One in particular was called Err-err. Some of you can see where this is going and for others it will take a while but I shall confirm any suspicions, the film is similar to I am Sam. Scary, isn't it?

Anyway, I could verify it all in a dictionary but conjecture is more fun. Let's face it this info seeps through children who can't really speak any English, so, it might not be accurate. tis an interesting thought anyway...

No comments: