Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Beautiful Forehead

Apparently this is what I have. A beautiful forehead. It denotes that I couldn't possibly be over 22 according to some Thais I met last night. What are they on about? It has to be said, compliments are weird here. My students just don't seem to be able to get it quite right, things like "Oh teacher today you look beautiful" What do you mean today?
Bimble into Starbucks "Ah Miss G, you are good-looking today" what is with all this today stuff?

One of my kids comes to me at the beginning of every lesson:
"Teacher, I am beautiful, but you are more beautiful. See, an eight-year-old can get it right.

Yesterday I started a new course off-site. During the coffee break as I was fumbling around with this rather daft 'special' (this is just for you teacher) lotus-shaped porcelain weirdo tray thing capable of carrying both my coffee AND glass of water (whoever invented this incredibly useless dual-purpose wobbly thing should be shot) the students felt it necessary to come and tell me what they thought of me.
"teacher, my first impression is that you are very kindly",
"oh, thank you" wobble, wobble, please leave me alone to struggle with this contraption in peace! And of course, let's face it, I doubt "kindly" is the first word that springs to mind when people meet me. You only get that one after years of hard graft of knowing and putting up with me.

At least, noone has called me fat in a long time, I suppose I should be thankful for that one.

In other news, on Sunday I shall start learning street-fighting, and I just can't wait.

I'm off to powder my forehead...

No comments: