Monday, June 12, 2006

Mellow Yellow

It's the King's Jubilee - 60 years on the throne, longest standing (or should that be sitting?) monarch in the world. Personal benefits of this jubilee are a 5 day weekend. Course, most of the roads are closed in and around Bangkok so travel wasn't really an option oh and I had to work on Saturday and Sunday but I can't complain. Monday and Tuesday are official days off, J had friday off due to traffic (??!!) and about 80 percent of Thai people are wearing yellow T-shirts in the colour of the King's flag with his emblem conveniently across your heart and most have "I love the King" in big letters over it. Nice and tasteful.

It is a weird concept to see people get so into their monarchy. I usually just see them as a figurehead, but here in Thailand they really do stuff and are attributed with the majority of the success of the Kingdom. It is an offence which could carry a jail sentence to criticise the King.

Now that I am teaching adults I am finding out all sorts of things. Here are some interesting tidbits:

My teenagers have no idea who Madonna is! Seriously, they make me feel old, the other day, I was teaching them about pop groups and stuff and they had to design their own group and CD cover etc. As an intro I had the pussycat dolls on the screen and elicited what they knew about them. One Q I had was what songs do they sing? I expected them to reply Don'cha and that was that. They came out with some huge list, Stickwitu, Beep, Sway, I was quite shocked. Never heard of these songs. And no offence to the pussycat dolls but I assumed they were a one-hit wonder, let alone get as far as making a whole album!

Honestly, teaching teens is like being back at school again. I don't remember being so rude to my teachers or surly. I feel like I have to earn favour with the 'cool' group and stuff and quite frankly I just can't cope with the smug look on their faces and that fake passifying grin that makes me want to do some serious damage and make it toothless. It's not a mexican wave I get when I ask them to do the unbelievably horrifying task of picking up their pens and actually writing something, shit, it's not like their supposed to be studying or anything, it's a mexican eye-roll. No to mention the fuss when the dreaded word homework comes up. The more they complain, the more they get! They'll soon realise they aren't going to win. 2 weeks ago a group of girls thought that they could stretch a 15 minute break to 40 and looked at me like I was in the wrong and insane when they returned to find the classroom door locked. Strangely enough, they haven't been late since.

Not only am I finding out about teenage behaviour, but I am finding out some weird superstitions. You can't get your hair cut on a Wednesday, Sunday will bring you long life, Monday - happiness, Thursday - guardian angels will protect you, Friday - you'll never go in want, Saturday - you'll gain admiration. Think about that next time you make an appointment.

Bizarre.

Well, that concludes my Thai tales for now...

No comments: