Monday, April 17, 2006

The green, green grass of home

For those of you who often wonder if when I say I grew up in the middle of nowhere I really did, then take a look. Here is what the area I come from looks like. I say this because J always used to say "hmmm yes I too live in the middle of nowhere" then he came to visit and said "Oh My God, you really do live in the middle of nowhere". I presume middle of nowhere in America means more than 10 mins drive from a Burger King.

Other visitors have commented on the lack of streetlights to light your path when driving own the roads (you know who you are I'm not mentioning any names) - that's what those big lights on the front of your car are for! Others merely gaze in stunned silence at the sheer ability of grass to cover things which they have never noticed before.

Tis lambing season back home and the soft bleating echoes through the valleys. Em, this is what a lamb looks like by the way - remember our conversation in the cafe. I took this pic for you - these are the kind of rewards people get when they are an avid reader.

I shall put up pics and goss of my recent trips home and to London and Prague at a later date. Was nice to catch up with everyone. Is always good for me to double check everybody really is ok and happy and stuff, sometimes things change, others don't, seeing for myself that everyone is doing ok always makes me sleep better at night. And that is about as soft and squidgy as I will get. Those of you whom I didn't get to see I shall shove on top of the pile as a priority for first visit next time I come home, which in no way suggests that you were at the bottom this time round;) if everyone could just all live within a ten mile radius of Heathrow life would be dandy.

Moving on... so I arrived back in Bangkok last Wednesday just in time for SongKran. SongKran is Buddhist New Year and is celebrated by four days of water fights. This all sounds well and good and indeed is fun for a day but the novelty wears off quickly. Apparently, this year "sexy clothes" for women were banned and there was a brief ban on water guns. Water guns are not the problem. Buckets full of ice-cold water and talc are the things that are annoying.

When I say talc this is what I mean. You are plastered and it is hard to get off. Expecially when it dries and your face cracks. Does my head in.












The most popular activity aside fron soaking foreigners is driving around in the back of a truck and throwing water at people you drive past. It is insane.














Even the policemen can't escape!














In an effort to avoid maximum soaking I spent a lot of time in taxis. I wanted to take lots of photos but even the taxis get plastered with talc so you can't see through the window. Big talcy handprints all down the window and stuff it is really funny. the security guard got me though with a water gun and a big grin on his face. Nowhere, not even your own home is safe. I realy don't mind the guns because the water dries fast but there is nothing that will make you more miserable than a squelchy backside or "ooh my shorts are nearly dry" SPLASH - cue lots of cursing. Even in taxi I took clearly other soaked people had been in before me and I would get out wondering why my bum was damp! We ordered deliver pizza and I felt so sorry for the guy. His little cap was all white and he was soaking wet, mumbling at me while he dug out the change from several ziplock food bags he had to keep it in to keep it dry! I hope he was on double time is all I can say.

We did finally go and buy a telly. Shopping centres are the only safe haven for those needing a little rest from the onslaught. The one the landlord gave us had a habi of beding the image and then swtincing itself off ramdomly ever ten minutes fro no apparent reason. the landlord wouldn't believe us that it was borken because when he switche it on it came on so he couldn't see the problem! Anyway, they are cheap here and we splashed out (pardon the pun) on a 27 incher - let's face it, who would bother with anything less? When it was delivered J was busy playing with it (the TV of course) and turned round to catch me with one leg in the box.

"you're not seriously going to get into the box are you?" he asked incedulously.

"Course I am it's huge, can't resist" I replied indignantly.

What can I say, Men play with technological stuff, women climb into boxes.




But look, it's huge! of course, if I were taller than 5ft2 then this would be a specatular photo, however, in my expert opinion you can fit in a 7ft basketball player, a couple of kittens and a fallabella pony in that box and still have room for a six-pack and a sandwich. What do you reckon? Maybe we should play that game - guess how many marbles you can fit into the box or something? hmmmm I must try that out...

No comments: